Sunday, October 12, 2014

My Foundation Routine [With Video!]

I have a lot of family members and friends that always ask me about how I do my day-to-day foundation routine and I decided to finally write about it to share with everyone. I watched so many videos on YouTube and read reviews of products and researched about how to contour and highlight and all the jazz. With all of my research, I learned that even though one beauty guru on YouTube might it do a certain way, doesn't mean that way will work for me. After trial and error, playing around, and all of my research, this is my customized way of how I do my everyday foundation routine.

Products Used

✿ Primers ✿
- No7 Beautifully Matte Make Up Base
- Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

✿ Foundation ✿
- Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation (Classic Ivory)

✿ Contouring ✿
- Maybelline Fit Me Shine-Free Foundation Stick (Coconut)

✿ Bronzer ✿
- Physician's Formula Organic Wear Bronzer

✿ Blush ✿
- Mary Kay's Sample Blush (Apricot Breeze)

✿ Setting Powder ✿
- ELF High Definition Powder
- NYC Color Wheel (Rose Glow)
- Physician's Formular Organic Wear Powder

Visual Aid

Since it can be difficult to explain everything I'm trying to say, I filmed a quick little video for a visual aid. I hope this makes it easier to understand what I explain. I would suggest watching the video and following along with the titles in this blog that correspond to the titles in the video. Enjoy my double chins, awkward expressions, and shifty eyes.

MAKE SURE TO WATCH IT IN HD!

Moisturize

Because I have extremely sensitive skin that is extremely dry right out of the shower, I use my Olay Moisturizing Lotion very generously all over my face and neck. I apply a thick coat right when I get out of the shower or after I wash my face in the morning and then let it dry. Then I apply another thin layer all over and let that dry. This moisturizer works the best for my combination skin and it doesn't irritate it.

Moisturizing is essential. I don't care what kind of skin you have: oily, dry, normal, combination - whatever! You must moisturize your skin to keep it healthy; especially if you are going to be wearing makeup. Find a moisturizer that works best with your skin and test it out before putting a full face of makeup on over it. The last thing you want is to get some kind of lotion that irritates your skin and then halfway through the day your face is burning and breaking out (it has happened to me before and trust me, it's not fun).

Prime

Not everybody primes their face, but I have found that it helps to minimize my pores and keep my makeup from moving throughout my long work and school days. I use two different primers. I haven't seen anybody else use two primers, but since I have combination skin that tends to get oily throughout the day, I have found that using two different primers really helps to keep my makeup fresh throughout all of my sweating and face-rubbing.

First I go in with my No7 Beautifully Matte Make Up Base. I put a small amount on my index finger and rub it together to warm it up a bit. I focus this primer mostly on my eyebrows since I put a lot of product on my eyebrows. I also pat it around my eyes and t-zone. I do not rub this primer in, I pat it over my face. This primer is really drying because it is mattifying. If I rub it in, the primer rubs off and my skin looks flaky and too dry. But when I pat it over areas of my face, it still works and doesn't give my face that flaky-look.

Next I go in with my Chafing Relief Powder-Gel by the makers of Monistat. I know it seems weird to put this on your face, but this stuff works wonders! Again, I put a little dab on my index finger and rub it together before applying it to my face. I put this on my forehead, cheeks, and especially around my nose. It is silicone-based and slides right over my face. A little bit goes a long way with this product. I pretty much rub this all over, but I try not to get a lot on my eyebrows since I want my matte primer to be more prominent there. This primer helps to minimize the pores on my nose. It creates a protection layer between my skin and my makeup, so my pores aren't getting clogged up with foundation. My face feels like it can breathe throughout the day and I don't get that cakey feeling after sweating. This stuff is my holy grail product. I love it.

Foundation

Using my Jessup Foundation Brush, I apply my Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation. I first apply it to my neck, making sure to buff it in and blend it out very thoroughly. I then apply this to my chin, eyes, under my eyes, and the center of my forehead. I only put a very small layer on since I don't need a strong coverage. I just use foundation to help even out the color of my face since I tend to get a lot of redness.

Then, taking a Jessup Concealer Brush, I create a barrier with foundation on my cheeks. I go a little bit below the hollows of my cheeks, but I don't blend it out yet. I use this as a barrier for my contouring. I have found by putting this little line on my face, my darker foundation for contouring is easier to control and blend out in the area that I want it to be in. This part is hard for me to explain, so please make sure you look at the video to understand what I mean by creating a barrier.

Contouring

I like to use a darker foundation for the majority of my contouring. I use the Maybelline Fit Me Shine-Free Foundation Stick in the darkest shade, Coconut. I apply this first to outline my chin and then I dot it along my jawline. Adding a darker color along your jawline helps to hide double chins. I then apply this to the hollows of my cheeks to shape my face. I first start by placing the foundation stick flat on my cheek, to make a thicker line, and then I turn it sideways, to use the edge of the stick as I get closer to my lips. I want my contour to be darker up my the top of my ear and under my cheek bone and be less drastic as it goes down my face. I also apply a small dot to my temples.

I take another one of my Jessup brushes and first blend out my jawline, then my chin, and then I start on my cheeks. I start by the top of my ears and just sweep back and forth a few times to blend it a bit before I buff it out, trying to keep it in the general area of the hollows of my cheeks and just onto the tops of my cheeks. I create a C on my face by bringing up the product to my temples and blending out the small amount of foundation I put on my temples. I make sure this is very thoroughly blended.

Then, to clean up the line, I go in with my regular foundation brush and blend out that barrier I created with my skin-toned foundation I first used. Sometimes I even add a little more product onto it to really clean up that area and make sure the contour is a line on my cheek.

Bronzer & Blush

I then go in with another Jessup Brush that is tapered at the end and use my Physician's Formula Bronzer to set my contour and bronze my face. I like a really defined line when I contour my face, so I just use a regular index card and hold it just along the contour line - right along the foundation barrier I keep talking about. I then apply my bronzer over the contour foundation, making sure to really focus on the area closest to my hairline, and then gently sweeping it down toward my cheeks and toward my lips. Then I use whatever is left on the brush to bronze my temples, chin, and jawline.

For my blush, I use a Mary Kay blush sample in the color Apricot Breeze and an unnamed blush brush. I sweep it just over the tops of my cheeks and up my temple a bit. I make sure it's seamless with my bronzer to create a natural look. Then, whatever is left on the brush I gently sweep around my face.

Setting Powder

The first thing I do is set the foundation on my neck with my NYC Color Wheel in the color Rose Glow, using my same unnamed blush brush. Then, I take my ELF High Definition Powder and a little fan brush and just sweep it under my eyes, between my eyes, on my nose, on my chin, and on my cupid's bow. This just helps add a bit of a highlight for when pictures are taken. It brightens up those areas. It doesn't make a huge difference, but I do like the look it gives used a bit of a highlighting powder.

Then I take my Physician's Formula Organic Wear face powder and my ELF Complexion Brush and stipple on the powder along the areas that I actually want to add color to. I do this on my chin, along the sides of my face, and a little bit on my forehead. After I stipple on the areas I want more product to be placed, I just sweep my brush around my entire face. Interesting fact about these large powder brushes that most people don't know: when you brush your face with powder and you think you're putting powder on your face, you're actually barely putting anything down. In fact, you're taking off more than you're putting on your face by pushing it around and knocking off excess blush or bronzer. That's why I stipple the brush in the areas I want my powder to really stick, and then just brush the rest of my face to knock off any extra blush and bronzer and just put a very light layer of powder on to blend everything out.

Well, that's all there is to my foundation routine! After this I would go on to do my brows, then my eye makeup and set everything with a setting spray, but we'll save all that for another post. If you have any questions about something I did or a product I used, let me know!

Also, check out my review on the Jessup brushes I mentioned in this post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment