Friday, November 14, 2014

Review: NYX Butter Lip Balm

I purchased the NYX butter lip balms a few months ago. I didn't look too much into them before purchasing them off of the website - I decided I would take a leap of faith and hope that they would be worth the money. I've been using them regularly for a while now, and have decided to write a small review about them. A lot of my friends and family know this, but I have something I must admit. My name is Elise, and I am addicted to chapstick. I have one stashed in every room of the house and I have at least three floating around my purse and backpack at all times. I have five on my vanity alone. I have at least ten unopened packages stored in one of my drawers. I'm very picky about my chapstick and lip balms, and so I thought that this would be a suitable post for me. Let's jump right into it then!

Pigmentation
These lip balms come in eight different colors: Parfait, Mauve, Red Velvet, Macaron, Marshmallow, Biscotti, Panna Cotta, and Brownie. They are on the NYX website for four dollars each. A bit pricey for a chapstick/lip balm in my opinion, but I suppose the pigmentation adds to the cost. I purchased two different colors: Parfait and Red Velvet.

These are only lip balms, and therefore the color pigmentation is very faint, but still enough for it to be noticeable. It's nothing close to a lipstick and slightly less noticeable than a lip gloss because it has more of a matte finish, so there's no shine to bring it attention. It has a slight shine in pictures and upon first application, but it dries to a velvety/semi-matte finish to make it look really natural.

Parfait: On the website, it is described as "fuchsia with blue undertones." I would say that this description is spot on.


This color is definitely my favorite of the two. I think that cool undertones look better with my skin color. It's not super noticeable and I feel like it mostly just enhances the natural color of my lips.

Red Velvet: On the website, it is described as "pure red." When I purchased this, I had very high expectations and I have to admit that I was slightly let down.


After initial application, it looks fine. But I feel like the color doesn't last on this one. It fades in the middle and makes it look like I'm wearing a faded, red lip liner. Someone on the website described it as looking like you just ate a popsicle, and it does look like that. Maybe a two year old that ate a popsicle. I just think the red color does not look good on me after a little bit of wear. I still use it, but usually before I am going to apply a red lipstick or lip gloss, just to moisturize my lips and add to the color I am going to be applying.

Moisturizing Qualities
Just to let you know where I stand with chapstick, I'll tell you the kind that I prefer. My holy grail of chapsticks is definitely my original Burt's Bees chapstick. That is my favorite because I can feel it moisturizing my lips. I do not like baby lips at all, as most people do. I feel like it only coats the surface and slides right off after after I rub my lips together a couple of times. I like chapstick that sinks into my lips and stays put for a long time. So, now that you know what I look for, on to the NYX butter lip balm analysis.

This lip balm really is buttery, without the slippery, greasy feeling, of course. It goes on so smooth and rubs in so nicely. It's not slick or slimy and feels amazing on my lips. I love rubbing my lips together when I am wearing it because it just feels so smooth and, I don't know, nourishing, I guess.

It does last for a significant amount of time. It can last me three hours just fine, even with sips of water here and there. After eating, though, I definitely need to reapply. My lips get chapped and dry very easily and for this to last three hours is great to me. Most of my chapsticks don't last me that long. My Burt's Bees can last me four to five hours and baby lips lasts me thirty minutes, at most. I usually reapply my chapstick every couple of hours just to avoid ever having my lips go dry on me, but sometimes at school and work, I don't get the chance to reapply as much as I would like to. Plus, with wearing a lip balm with pigmentation, in order to keep the color fresh you need to reapply every couple of hours, maybe even every other hour. But that's only if you don't want the color to fade.

Overall, these lip balms feel great on my lips. In fact, I just put some on and I can't stop rubbing my lips together as I type this. The lasting power is great for me, even when drinking, but not after eating.

Final Verdict
I would say that she lip balms are adorable, smell delicious, feel great, and are very much well worth the money. I plan on purchasing the color Biscotti next and possibly even Panna Cotta.

Let me know if you give these a try and what colors your decide to try! If you have any further questions please feel free to leave me a comment. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment